Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 8:2 Psalter-Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 8:2
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C with the Torture of the Empress Faustina
- This initial originally marked the beginning of Psalm 80, one of the ten major divisions of the Psalms. It belongs to a group of cuttings from the same manuscript now divided between the Free Library and the Bodleian Library at Oxford University. Other initials from the manuscript contain scenes from the life of St. Catherine of Alexandria, indicating that the original owner had a special devotion to the saint. Here, the Empress Faustina, who was converted by the saint, is tortured for her faith.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a psalter-hours.
Extent56 x 55 mm
- 13th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:2: Psalter-Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:2: Psalter-Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.