Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 8:15a-d Bible historiale
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 8:15a-d
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Ezekiel's vision of the Tetramorph
- This miniature once marked the beginning of the Book of Ezekiel in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken. The Bible historiale was a popular French translation of biblical history, especially among royal and aristocratic patrons. This miniature is one of several cuttings in the Free Library from the same manuscript illuminated by an artist in the workshop of the Virgil Master, a prominent illuminator known for his work in a copy of Virgil's Aeneid and Bucolics now in the Biblioteca Laurenziana in Florence, Italy.
- Daniel receiving his prophecies from God
- This miniature once marked the beginning of the Book of Daniel in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- Isaiah holding the saw with which he was martyred
- This miniature once marked the beginning of the Book of Isaiah in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- Amos threatening one of the cities of Damascus, Gaza, Tyre, Edom, and Ammon
- This miniature once marked the beginning of the Book of Amos in the deluxe illustrated Bible from which it was taken.
- These cuttings have been dated to ca. 1400-1405.
Extent81 x 84 mm
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:15a-d: Bible historiale are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 8:15a-d: Bible historiale. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 8.15a-d front d
7433_0000.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0000_thumb.jpg (8.2 KB)
7433_0000_web.jpg (414.4 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d reverse d
7433_0001.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
7433_0001_web.jpg (214.8 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d front a
7433_0002.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0002_thumb.jpg (7.9 KB)
7433_0002_web.jpg (357.5 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d reverse a
7433_0003.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0003_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
7433_0003_web.jpg (231.9 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d front b
7433_0004.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0004_thumb.jpg (8.0 KB)
7433_0004_web.jpg (347.7 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d reverse b
7433_0005.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0005_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
7433_0005_web.jpg (207.6 KB)
Lewis E M 8.15a-d front c
7433_0006.tif (22.9 MB)
7433_0006_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
7433_0006_web.jpg (332.3 KB)