Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 9:7 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 9:7
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- St. John on Patmos
- This miniature marks the beginning of the Gospel Lessons. In the lower and right borders, the initials G and Y are intertwined in a love knot set against a white ground (now dark from oxidation). The initials probably belong to the couple for whom the manuscript was made. The white ground is decorated with ermine tails, a heraldic device associated with the Breton ducal family of Montfort. Other leaves in the Free Library's collection, Lewis E M 9:8, 8a, and 10, are from the same manuscript.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with a miniature from a book of hours.
- This leaf has been dated to ca. 1465.
Extent105 x 146 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:7: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 9:7: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.