Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 10:3 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 10:3
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Books of hours
- This miniature begins the Passion Sequence from the Gospel of John. Christ's Agony in the Garden marks the start of his Passion, which encompasses the events immediately leading up to his death. During his moment of anguish in the garden of Gethsemane, Christ prays to God to 'take this cup' from him before finally accepting his fate. In this miniature, the cup, the symbol of his imminent sacrifice, appears on the rocky outcrop before the kneeling figure of Christ. In the foreground, the disciples Peter, James, and John sleep throughout Christ's ordeal.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with a miniature. The text is from the Passion Sequence of John (John 18:1ff).
Extent93 x 131 mm
- 16th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:3: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 10:3: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.