Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 11:1 Undetermined
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:1
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
LanguageNo linguistic content, Not applicable
- St. Stephen was the first Christian martyr. His martyrdom is recorded in Acts 7:56-59, but the story of the wild beasts guarding his body was a later medieval addition to his legend. The miniature was painted by an artist whose style is similar to a group of artists known as the 1520s Hours Workshop, believed to have been located in Tours, France.
- Stephen Protomartyr guarded by wild beasts
Extent49 x 83 mm
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:1: Undetermined are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:1: Undetermined. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.