Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 11:15A Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:15A
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- This miniature was painted by the French illuminator Jean Poyer, active in Tours, ca. 1483-1503. Some scholars believe that the miniature is from a now lost book of hours mentioned in an entry in the accounts of Anne of Brittany (d. 1514), queen of Charles VIII of France (r. 1483-1498) and patron of Jean Poyer. The document records a payment made to the artist in 1497 for 23 miniatures, 271 borders, and 1,500 line endings. An inscription on the reverse, believed to be by the hand of Anne of Brittany, tells us that a woman gave this manuscript as a gift to an unknown recipient.
- The leaf has been dated to the mid 1490s.
Extent54 x 84 mm
- 15th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:15A: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:15A: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.