Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 11:23 Book of Hours
TitleBook of Hours
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 11:23
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- St. Jerome or St. Mark the Evangelist
- This miniature is from an undetermined part of a book of hours and was painted by a follower of Jean Bourdichon, an illuminator who worked mainly in Tours. Since both Sts. Mark and Jerome have the attributes of a book and a lion, and there is no text visible on the reverse, it is difficult to determine who the saint is with certainty. Mark is usually not shown with two books, as if copying one from another, since the Gospels were divinely inspired. The two books would make sense if it were Jerome, who translated in theory from one book to another. The inscription above Jerome is RECE DICTE VU..., could allude to the Vulgate if 'rec'' is read as 'recte'. Jerome, however, is usually shown in cardinal's dress.
Extent107 x 159 mm
- 16th century
- Book of Hours
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:23: Book of Hours are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 11:23: Book of Hours. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.