Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 16:30 Antiphonary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 16:30
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
Spain or Portugal
- Initial I
- The style of this initial is reminiscent of Flemish initial decoration. Certain elements in the execution of the initial suggest, however, that the artist was not Flemish but perhaps Spanish or Portuguese. Spain and Flanders had close political and economic ties in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. These ties also extended to the arts. Iberian illuminators were heavily influenced by Flemish artists, many of whom worked under the commission of members of the Spanish and Portuguese aristocracy.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with a decorated initial from an antiphonary.
Extent170 x 265 mm
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 16:30: Antiphonary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 16:30: Antiphonary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.