Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 22:2-4 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 22:2-4
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Border ornaments
- The delicate illumination on these cuttings has been attributed to Sano di Pietro (1405-1481), one of the most prolific artists working in Siena during the 1460s and 1470s. Many of Sano's commissions came from religious communities, for whom he produced not only illuminated manuscripts but also a number of altarpieces. This cuttings belongs to a group of other cuttings in the Free Library from the same choir book or at least the same set of choir books. These are: Lewis E M 22:7-16, E M 22:18-21, E M 23:1-6, E M 25:1-3, and E M 76:29a. Although there is scant textual evidence to determine the type of choir book from which these cuttings were taken, similarities in the style of decoration, the color palette, and dimensions in the height of the staves on the reverse allow them to be grouped together.
- These cuttings can be dated to ca. 1470.
Extent32 x 118 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 22:2-4: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 22:2-4: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.