Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 25:7 Psalter
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 25:7
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with King David praying to God
- This initial probably begins Psalm 38, 'Dixi custodiam vias meas ut non delinquam in lingua mea posui ori meo ....' (I said I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue). This psalm marks the second major liturgical division of the psalms according to the canonical hours. Psalm 38 was read every day at Matins on Tuesdays. As is typical for the illustration of this psalm, King David points to his mouth as he prays to God, literally acting out, by pointing to his mouth, the first words of the psalm.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1470.
Extent135 x 113 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:7: Psalter are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:7: Psalter. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.