Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 25:18 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 25:18
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial S with St. Stephen Protomartyr
- St. Stephen is known as St. Stephen Protomartyr because he was the first martyr of the Christian faith. The stones on his forehead and shoulders refer to his martyrdom. The Acts of the Apostles relate that he was stoned to death while preaching the Word of Christ (Acts 7:58). This initial has been attributed to the Venetian illuminator Cristoforo Cortese, active from ca. 1399 to before 1445, when a document refers to him as already dead. Several other leaves in the Free Library have also been attributed to Cortese.
- This is the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a choir book.
Extent75 x 115 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:18: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 25:18: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.