Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 26:4-5 Legal treatise
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 26:4-5
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initials P and L
- These initials, here filled with busts of a saint and another male figure, would have marked secondary textual divisions in a glossed copy of a legal text such as Gratian's Decretum or the Decretals of Gregory IX. These cuttings belong to the same manuscript as Lewis E M 26:5 and 26:7.
- Initials D and G
- These initials, here filled with busts of two male figures, would have marked secondary textual divisions in a glossed copy of a legal text such as Gratian's Decretum or the Decretals of Gregory IX. These cuttings belong to the same manuscript as Lewis E M 26:4 and 26:7.
- These types of initial decoration is commonly found in legal manuscripts produced in Bologna in the first decades of the fourteenth century. Founded in the thirteenth century, the university in Bologna became an important center for the study of law in the Middle Ages. As a consequence, the city also became one of the great centers for the production of legal manuscripts, many of which, as these initials attest, were beautifully illuminated.
Extent22 x 51 mm
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 26:4-5: Legal treatise are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 26:4-5: Legal treatise. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Lewis E M 26.4 front
7806_0000.tif (10.2 MB)
7806_0000_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
7806_0000_web.jpg (136.9 KB)
Lewis E M 26.5 front
7806_0001.tif (13.0 MB)
7806_0001_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
7806_0001_web.jpg (236.4 KB)