Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 26:19 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 26:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- After the fall of Constantinople in 1204, Byzantine artists came to Italy where they soon began to assert an influence over Italian illumination, introducing stylistic idioms drawn from contemporary Byzantine painting (such as that seen in icon painting) that were themselves grounded in the traditions of Classical art. The expressive gestures, the intensity of the figure's gaze extending beyond the confines of the initial, and the schematic rendering of three-dimensional form are characteristic features of the influence of Byzantine artists on Italian illuminators.
- Initial L with an unidentified male saint
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from an choir book.
Extent44 x 63 mm
- 13th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 26:19: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 26:19: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.