Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 27:19 Choir book
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 27:19
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial H with St. Ambrose of Milan
- St. Ambrose, bishop of Milan from 374 -397, is counted as one of the Doctors of the western Church with Augustine, Jerome, and Pope Gregory I. The fragmentary inscription in the margin to the right of the saint makes reference to the act of genuflecting before images of saints as a means of worship. The illuminator of this initial is known as the Olivetan Master, called by this name because of a signature found in an illuminated initial from Milan, dated 1439 (now in The Cini Foundation in Venice) that describes him as a brother of the Order of Monteoliveto.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1430s-1440s.
- This is the reverse of a cutting from a choir book.
Extent106 x 112 mm
- 15th century
- Song book
- Musical notation
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:19: Choir book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 27:19: Choir book. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.