Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 28:13 Breviary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 28:13
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial C with a choir of Franciscan friars
- This initial begins Psalm 97, 'Cantate Domino canticum novum ...' (Sing to the Lord a new song), marking one of the eight liturgical divisions for the weekly recitation of the Psalms. This psalm is typically illustrated by a group of monks singing. Here, the monks are Franciscan friars, identified by the color of their robes and the visible first of three knots that symbolize the Order's vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. The words inscribed on the open book are the same words that originally followed the initial. The illumination has been attributed to the anonymous Master of the Franciscan Breviary, so-called after a breviary dated to 1446 in the Biblioteca Universitaria in Bologna, Italy.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a service book.
Extent108 x 99 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:13: Breviary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:13: Breviary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.