Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 28:14 Antiphonary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 28:14
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial L with St. Laurence of Rome
- This initial begins the first response for the first nocturn of Matins of the feast of St. Laurence (Aug. 10), 'Levita Laurentius bonum opus operatus est ...' (The Deacon Lawrence performed a pious act). The iconography of the initial makes reference to the events surrounding the martyrdom of the saint. According to his legend, Pope Sixtus II entrusted Laurence with the material wealth of the Church when it was still outlawed. Shortly thereafter, Sixtus was executed, and Laurence distributed the wealth among the poor. When the Emperor Valerian commanded Laurence to appear for his execution, the saint was told to bring along the treasure with which the pope had entrusted him. When he arrived, a multitude of Rome's crippled, blind, sick, and indigent came with him. St. Laurence announced that these were the true treasures of the Church. Laurence was executed by being grilled over hot coals; the gridiron is his attribute.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a service book.
Extent114 x 112 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:14: Antiphonary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:14: Antiphonary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.