Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 28:16 Historiated initial D from an antiphonary, depicting St. Paul
TitleHistoriated initial D from an antiphonary, depicting St. Paul
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 28:16
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial D with St. Paul
- This initial may begin the hymn for Matins of the Commemoration of St. Paul the Apostle (June 30), 'Doctor egregie Paule mores instrue ...' (Paul, Teacher without equal, fashion our lives aright), although there is not enough textual evidence to confirm this identification. Paleographic evidence indicates that Lewis E M 28:16 and 17 may have come from the same volume or series of choir books. Both cuttings were illuminated by Venturino Mercati, a Lombard illuminator who was active ca. 1473 -1480.
- This cutting can be dated to ca. 1470-1480.
- This image shows the reverse of a cutting with an historiated initial from a service book.
Extent84 x 77 mm
- 15th century
- Historiated initial
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:16: Historiated initial D from an antiphonary, depicting St. Paul are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 28:16: Historiated initial D from an antiphonary, depicting St. Paul. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.