Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis E M 65.62 Antiphonary
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberLewis E M 65.62
(Philadelphia, United States, Free Library of Philadelphia, John Frederick Lewis Collection of European Manuscripts)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- Initial I
- This initial begins the first response of the first nocturn of Matins for the first Sunday in August, 'In principio deus [antequam terram faceret]' (In the beginning before God made the earth). Lewis E M 65:1-78 were once thought to have come from a single manuscript associated with the Cistercian monastery at Zwettl in Austria. It has been determined, however, that the leaves are from a number of separate manuscripts and were likely produced by a team of scribes and artists at the scriptorium of the Benedictine monastery at Melk.
- These leaves can be dated to ca. 1430-1440.
- This image shows the reverse of a leaf with a decorated initial from an antiphonary.
Extent359 x 515 mm
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 65.62: Antiphonary are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Free Library of Philadelphia Lewis E M 65.62: Antiphonary. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.