Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis O 5 al-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis Collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Khātūn bint Ḥabīb, former donor
خاتون بنت حبيب.
- Juwaynī, Muṣ̣ṭafá Ibn ʻAlī Muʼmin, former owner
جويني، مصطفى ابن علي مؤمن.
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Bement, Clarence S. 1843-1923, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
- Bernard Quaritch (Firm), vendor
Call numberLewis O 5
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- between 1700 and 1799?
South Asia ;
Complete copy of the Qurʼān.
- Ms. codex.
Extent469 leaves : 274 x 160 (191 x 113) mm, bound to 280 x 184 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil added, upper left recto.
BindingRebound in red leather by St. Austin and Sons of Hertford with illustrated lacquered wooden boards. Spine is stamped KURʼĀN. Outside covers contain mandorla in black with two pendants along the vertical axis and cornerpieces; floriated designs in orange, red, yellow, black, and gold. Inside covers depict bouquet in green, red, yellow, and orange on black background with cornerpieces painted in red.
Polychrome using black, pink, purple, blue, green, white, and gold inks. Dual page illumination on first opening (f. 1v-2r). Text in cloudbands throughout. Textblock rule-bordered in gold and black; roundels and medallions in the margins indicate sections. Page framed by gilt floral decorated borders on every page; some openings have floral decoration in gold between the frame and the textblock (f. 2v-3r; 81v-82r, for example); gold roundels at end of each verse. Gilded edges.
- Gift of Anne Baker Lewis in 1933.
- Formerly given by Khātūn bint Ḥabīb (stamp on f. 468v).
- Formerly owned by Muṣ̣ṭafá Ibn ʻAlī Muʼmin Juwaynī, A.H. 1281 (1864) (stamp on f. 468v).
- Formerly owned by Clarence S. Bement (bookplate on flyleaf 2v at back of book).
- Sold by Bernard Quaritch in 1902 (note in pencil on top right of flyleaf 2r at back of book).
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis (bookplate on flyleaf 1v at back of book).
- Rebound by St. Austin and Sons of Hertford (stamped on binding).
- Manuscripts, Arabic--18th century
- Manuscripts, Oriental--18th century
- Manuscripts, Arabic
- Manuscripts, Oriental
- Codices (bound manuscipts)
- Illuminations (painting)
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 5: al-Qurʼān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 5: al-Qurʼān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — [al-Qur'an]
Inside front cover
7029_0001.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0001_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
7029_0001_web.jpg (455.6 KB)
7029_0007.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0007_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
7029_0007_web.jpg (499.8 KB)
Decoration: Dual page illumination
7029_0008.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0008_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
7029_0008_web.jpg (437.0 KB)
Decoration: Dual page illumination
7029_0009.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0009_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
7029_0009_web.jpg (464.8 KB)
Decoration: Example of floriate borders in gold
7029_0011.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0011_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
7029_0011_web.jpg (406.6 KB)
Decoration: Example of roundel with letter 'ayn.
7029_0023.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0023_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
7029_0023_web.jpg (422.7 KB)
Decoration: Example of marginal medallion
Inside back cover
7029_0948.tif (104.3 MB)
7029_0948_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
7029_0948_web.jpg (438.1 KB)