Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis O 6 al-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis Collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
Call numberLewis O 6
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
- between 1650 and 1800?
Complete, octagonal copy of the Qurʼān with metal case, for use as an amulet; several leaves have been repaired and the first few may be later replacements.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- A repeating stamp on the flyleaves at the front and back of book bears pious statements and the number 118.
ExtentIv, 362, ii leaves : 46 x 42 (34 x 34) mm bound to 46 x 42 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil added to every tenth leaf, top left recto; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingBound in red leather over thin card with embossed gold onlays in a central octagon and narrow frame; octagonal carrying case of silver-colored metal with a clasp that allows for a string to be threaded through it; grey enamal top set with a central red stone and ten red stone petals lined with gold.
Dual page illuminated first and last openings in gold with green and blue or orange flower and vine motifs (f. 1v-2r, 357v-358r). Textblock is octagonally border-ruled in gold. Gold roundels lined in red mark verse endings; sūrah titles in red.
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis.
- Manuscripts, Arabic--17th century
- Manuscripts, Arabic--18th century
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Illuminations (painting)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Onlays (decorative components)
- Pull-off boxes
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 6: al-Qurʼān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 6: al-Qurʼān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — [al-Qurʼān].
- fol. 1v — Illuminated border
9663_0011.tif (6.2 MB)
9663_0011_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
9663_0011_web.jpg (385.9 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated border
Box (clasp side at angle)
9663_0744.tif (7.1 MB)
9663_0744_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
9663_0744_web.jpg (187.4 KB)