Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis O 40 Nuzʹhat al-arvāḥ. / نزهة الارواح
- Mīr Ḥusaynī Haravī, Ḥusayn ibn ʻĀlim, 1272 or 1273-approximately 1317
مير حسينى هروى، حسين بن عالم،
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Khān Muḥammad Maḥmūd ibn Ḥusayn ibn Muḥammad, scribe
خان محمد محمود بن حسين بن محمد.
- Shīrāzī, Muḥammad Bāqir, former owner
شيرازى، محمد باقر.
- Keene, H. G. 1781-1864, former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
Call numberLewis O 40
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
Item is undated, but copied before 1582, when it was sold. Copied by Khān Muḥammad Maḥmūd ibn Ḥusayn ibn Muḥammad (f. 110v), though he may be the copyist for the replacement pages only.
- 1500? to 1582
Copy of a treatise on Sufi doctrine with a number of replacements pages written in another hand.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title added in later hand (f. 1r).
- Catalog entry describing the manuscript pasted onto the inside front cover.
- Inscription in ink, "Persian. The delight of Souls -- A Treatise on the Passions; and particularly Love. But it appears the work of a Soofee." (flyleaf 4 verso at front of book).
Extent114 leaves : 171 x 124 (115 x 80) mm bound to 175 x 124 mm
FoliationContemporary foliation in Hindu-Arabic numerals in ink, upper left recto; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingPaper over pasteboard with red leather spine. Yellow faded frame on sides. Bright pink and white patterned doublure. Textblock is detached from the covers.
Rubrications in red and another color that may have been red at one time.
- Gift of Anne Baker Lewis in 1933.
- Formerly owned by Muḥammad Bāqir valad-i Qāz̤i valad-i Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Shīrāzī and purchased in Aḥmadankar (probably Ahmednagar) in the year 990 A.H (1582) (f. 110v).
- Sold by Mīr Muḥammad for eight rupees (undated note f. 110v).
- Formerly owned by Henry George Keene (signature on front flyleaf recto with "No. 77" and Sid[ney] Sus[sex] Coll[ege]". The same signature, dated March 1803 along with his stamp also appear (f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis (armorial bookplate inside front cover).
- Sufism--Early works to 1800
- Sufi literature, Persian--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Persian--16th century
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 40: Nuzʹhat al-arvāḥ. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 40: Nuzʹhat al-arvāḥ.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — Nuzʹhat al-arvāḥ.
- Inside front cover — Bookplate: "John Frederick Lewis"
- Inside front cover — Catalog entry pasted in
- fol. 1r — Owner's notations: "Henry George Keene March 1803"
- fol. 1r — Owner's stamp: "Henry George Keene, 1803"
- fol. 110v — Owner's notations: Muḥammad Bāqir valad-i Qāz̤i valad-i Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Shīrāzī, purchased in Aḥmadankar (probably Ahmednagar) in the year 990 A.H
- fol. 110v — Notations
Inside front cover
7207_0001.tif (47.8 MB)
7207_0001_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
7207_0001_web.jpg (402.0 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate: "John Frederick Lewis"
Decoration: Catalog entry pasted in
7207_0010.tif (47.8 MB)
7207_0010_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
7207_0010_web.jpg (383.3 KB)
Decoration: Owner's notations: "Henry George Keene March 1803"
Decoration: Owner's stamp: "Henry George Keene, 1803"
7207_0011.tif (47.8 MB)
7207_0011_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
7207_0011_web.jpg (411.1 KB)
Section: Nuzʹhat al-arvāḥ.
7207_0229.tif (47.8 MB)
7207_0229_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
7207_0229_web.jpg (400.1 KB)
Decoration: Owner's notations: Muḥammad Bāqir valad-i Qāz̤i valad-i Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Shīrāzī, purchased in Aḥmadankar (probably Ahmednagar) in the year 990 A.H