Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis O 47 Tārīkh-i Kashmīr. / تاريخ کشمير
- ʻAjīz, Narāyan Kaul, active 17th century-18th century
عجيز، نراين کول
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis Collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
Call numberLewis O 47
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
History of Kashmir until 1122 AH (1710) written by a native of the area. According to the preface, it was written as an abridgment of the Sanskrit chronicles of Kashmir. The colophon says the work is Kitāb-i Rājah Tarnigī (f. 129v), but it is really an abridgment of that work. A second, incomplete text, Farhang-i Kashmīrī, a glossary in verse of Persian and Kashmiri by an unknown author and written on slightly smaller paper was added later after ten blank leaves.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger based on author's introduction.
Extent155 leaves : 210 x 125 (145 x 70) mm bound to 210 x 125 mm
FoliationModern foliation added in pencil, upper left recto, number 121 is repeated; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingBound in bronzed leather over pulpboard with blind-stamped and painted central mandorla with two pendants on the vertical axis and double frames; red leather doublure.
Illuminated headpiece in gold and blue with text on cloudbands with gold fill and floral fill border rules in orange and pink (f. 11v-12r); textblock border-ruled in red, gold, blue with page-opening frame rule in blue; rubrications in red. The textblock of the second work is border-ruled in double red
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis.
- Jammu and Kashmir (India)--History--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Persian--18th century
- Manuscripts, Oriental--18th century
- Manuscripts, Oriental
- Manuscripts, Persian
- India--Jammu and Kashmir
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Illuminations (painting)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Early works
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 47: Tārīkh-i Kashmīr. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 47: Tārīkh-i Kashmīr.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
9217_0001.tif (55.9 MB)
9217_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
9217_0001_web.jpg (310.6 KB)
9217_0025.tif (55.9 MB)
9217_0025_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
9217_0025_web.jpg (379.4 KB)
Section: [Tārīkh-i Kashmīr].
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece
9217_0026.tif (55.9 MB)
9217_0026_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
9217_0026_web.jpg (355.1 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated border rules
9217_0285.tif (55.9 MB)
9217_0285_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
9217_0285_web.jpg (235.7 KB)
Section: Farhang-i Kashmīrī
9217_0313.tif (55.9 MB)
9217_0313_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
9217_0313_web.jpg (225.2 KB)
Decoration: Border-ruled; unwritten