Collection ID: 0023 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Lewis O 49 Anvār-i Suhaylī. / انوار سهيلى
- Kāshifī, Ḥusayn Vāʻiẓ, -1504 or 1505
كاشفي، حسين واعظ، 1504- يا 1505
- Free Library of Philadelphia. Rare Book Department. John Frederick Lewis Collection of Oriental Manuscripts
Other related names
- Ḥusaynī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān, active 1831, former owner
حسيني، عبد الرحمن،
- Hādī ibn Bahāʼ al-Dīn, active 1822, scribe
هادي بن بهاء الدين،
- Gunther, Charles Frederick, 1837-1920, former owner
- Lewis, John Frederick, 1860-1932, former owner
- Lewis, Anne Baker, 1868-1937, donor
- American Art Association, auctioneer
Call numberLewis O 49
(Philadelphia, Free Library of Philadelphia, Rare Book Department)
PublisherFree Library of Philadelphia
Persian adaptation of animal fables.
- Manuscript codex.
- Title from colophon (f. 148v).
- Catalog entries pasted onto last flyleaf verso: lot 513 in French, lot 375 in English.
- Notes (f. 149v) and one owner's stamp, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān al-Ḥusaynī, 1247, (f. 2r).
WatermarkBellando in all capital letters; countermark: B.
Extent149 leaves : 276 x 172 (220 x 110) mm, bound to 278 x 173 mm
FoliationModern foliation added in pencil, upper left recto; catchwords every verso, lower left.
BindingLacquered boards; outside covers depict flowers and birds on a reddish ground with a gold frame; inside covers have a central mandorla containing a bird and flowers and two pendants on the vertical axis each with a bunch of flowers depicted all on a black ground with gold floral fill, surrounded by a gold, patterened frame.
Textblock of first opening border-ruled in gold and black with the top of the first page ruled in gold and blue as if for a headpiece, but left unilluminated (f. 1v-2r); rubrications in red.
- Formerly owned by ʻAbd al-Raḥmān al-Ḥusaynī in 1247 A.H. (1831 or 1832 CE) (f. 2r).
- Sold at an American Art Association auction, Selections from the Charles F. Gunther collection : sold by order of the Chicago Historical Society, 12 November 1925, lot 375.
- Formerly owned by John Frederick Lewis.
- Persian literature--747-1500
- Fables, Persian--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Persian
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Lacquered bindings (Binding)
- These images and the content of Rare Book Department Lewis O 49: Anvār-i Suhaylī. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Free Library of Philadelphia, Special Collections has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Rare Book Department Lewis O 49: Anvār-i Suhaylī.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — Anvār-i Suhaylī.
Inside front cover
9516_0001.tif (104.4 MB)
9516_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
9516_0001_web.jpg (399.7 KB)
9516_0003.tif (104.4 MB)
9516_0003_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
9516_0003_web.jpg (320.7 KB)
Section: Anvār-i Suhaylī.
9516_0004.tif (104.4 MB)
9516_0004_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
9516_0004_web.jpg (342.5 KB)
9516_0299.tif (104.4 MB)
9516_0299_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
9516_0299_web.jpg (281.3 KB)
Decoration: Catalog entries
Inside back cover
9516_0300.tif (104.4 MB)
9516_0300_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
9516_0300_web.jpg (398.3 KB)