Collection ID: 0034 | Metadata type: TEI | |
ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons932 Benjamin Dorr sermon 932, "The Sareptan Widow," 1859-1867
TitleBenjamin Dorr sermon 932, "The Sareptan Widow," 1859-1867
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA)
PublisherChrist Church, Philadelphia, PA
Reverend Benjamin Dorr served as rector for Christ Church from 1839 to 1868, and undertook the difficult job of holding the congregation together during the Civil War. This sermon lays out Reverend Dorr's thoughts on Luke 4:25 and 4:26, "But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; but to none of them was Elijah sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow." Dorr narrates the visit of the prophet Elijah/Elias to a widow outside of Sarepta, a Phoenician town in what is now Lebanon. A severe famine has sent Israel into distress and mourning, but God directs Elijah to visit a humble unbeliever with a generous heart. Of particular interest is the travel narrative that Dorr includes in his sermon, which recalls a trip that he and his son made to the Near East where they traced Elijah's route. He made many edits to his remarks about their journey over time. The inside front cover notes five dates Reverend Dorr delivered this sermon, from 1859 to 1867.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Bible. New Testament
- Bible. Gospels
- Bible. Luke
- Christ Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Dorr, Benjamin, 1796-1869
- Episcopal Church
- 19th century
- These images and the content of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons932: Benjamin Dorr sermon 932, "The Sareptan Widow," 1859-1867 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Christ Church Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons932: Benjamin Dorr sermon 932, "The Sareptan Widow," 1859-1867. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
12025_0001.tif (80.5 MB)
12025_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
12025_0001_web.jpg (160.0 KB)