Collection ID: 0034 | Metadata type: TEI | |
ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons965 Benjamin Dorr sermon 965, "National Thanksgiving," 1863
TitleBenjamin Dorr sermon 965, "National Thanksgiving," 1863
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA)
PublisherChrist Church, Philadelphia, PA
Reverend Benjamin Dorr served as rector for Christ Church from 1839 to 1868, and undertook the difficult job of holding the congregation together during the Civil War. This Thanksgiving sermon, delivered in 1863, lays out Reverend Dorr's thoughts on 1 Chronicles 29:10-13, "Blessed be thou, Lord God of Israel, our Father, for ever and ever. Thine, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heaven, and in the earth is Thine. Thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might, and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee and praise thy glorious name." The Civil War continues, and Rev. Dorr mentions the incursion of the Confederate Army into Pennsylvania and the threat averted at Gettysburg. In a tacit comparison to Lincoln, Dorr describes David's career, rising from shepherd to king, and his rule amidst warfare and threats external and internal. Dorr also notes Lincoln's proclamation of a national Thanksgiving to be celebrated each November, which in those times would be celebrated in church on the last Thursday of November. Dorr gives many reasons for thankfulness, including: the significant victories of the North and the promise of better days to come; another good harvest; more good health; work for everyone to do; and the spirit of giving and co-operation - all as granted by God, with a longing for peace.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Bible. Old Testament
- Bible. Chronicles, 1st
- American Civil War (United States : 1861-1865)
- Christ Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Dorr, Benjamin, 1796-1869
- Episcopal Church
- 19th century
- These images and the content of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons965: Benjamin Dorr sermon 965, "National Thanksgiving," 1863 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Christ Church Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons965: Benjamin Dorr sermon 965, "National Thanksgiving," 1863. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
12029_0001.tif (80.8 MB)
12029_0001_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
12029_0001_web.jpg (153.2 KB)