Collection ID: 0034 | Metadata type: TEI | |
ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons968 Benjamin Dorr sermon 968, "National Thanksgiving," 1864
TitleBenjamin Dorr sermon 968, "National Thanksgiving," 1864
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA)
PublisherChrist Church, Philadelphia, PA
Reverend Benjamin Dorr served as rector for Christ Church from 1839 to 1868, and undertook the difficult job of holding the congregation together during the Civil War. In this Thanksgiving sermon, Reverend Dorr lays out his thoughts on Deuteronomy 28:1-2, "And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth; And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God." The Civil War continues in a series of grinding and horrific battles, with warfare taken in new directions. Dorr describes the orderly presidential election and victory of Lincoln, whom he admires, as surpassing any battlefield victory. Dorr includes details from Lincoln's Proclamation of Thanksgiving, and lists as reasons for thankfulness the general prosperity of the North, with its increase in population by emancipation and immigration; the overall good health of its soldiers and sailors; the quantity of work that needs doing and the resolve granted by God to do what is necessary. He also pleads for peace, union, and harmony once more.
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Bible. Old Testament
- Bible. Pentateuch
- Bible. Deuteronomy
- American Civil War (United States : 1861-1865)
- Christ Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Dorr, Benjamin, 1796-1869
- Episcopal Church
- 19th century
- These images and the content of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons968: Benjamin Dorr sermon 968, "National Thanksgiving," 1864 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Christ Church Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.BenjaminDorrSermons968: Benjamin Dorr sermon 968, "National Thanksgiving," 1864. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Inside front cover
12030_0001.tif (82.0 MB)
12030_0001_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
12030_0001_web.jpg (150.8 KB)