Collection ID: 0034 | Metadata type: TEI | |
ChristChurch.StPaulCharter Draft of constitution for St. Paul's Church, circa 1760
TitleDraft of constitution for St. Paul's Church, circa 1760
- St. Paul's Church (Philadelphia, Pa.) (https://viaf.org/viaf/159521020)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA)
- local-identifier: 184.108.40.206
PublisherChrist Church, Philadelphia, PA
In 1760 a group of congregants from Christ Church, supporters of the Rev. William McClenachan, an Anglican minister of evangelical leanings, seceded from Christ Church, and eventually formed St. Paul's. This document is a first draft of the constitution of St. Paul's, resolving to find land to rent in Philadelphia and funds to erect a new church building. The church was to follow the principles of the Church of England. Twelve persons were to be elected trustees, with the Reverend McClenachan serving as the first minister, and "sober Reputable and Religious Persons of the Congregation" appointed to collect pew rents and tend to the church building and grounds.
- Alternative Title: St. Paul's Charter
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Church buildings
- Church finance
- Church history
- Church management
- St. Paul's Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- McClenachan, William, 1714-
- Church of England
- Christ Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Episcopal Church
- Charters and articles of incorporation
- These images and the content of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.StPaulCharter: Draft of constitution for St. Paul's Church, circa 1760 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Christ Church Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.StPaulCharter: Draft of constitution for St. Paul's Church, circa 1760. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.