Collection ID: 0034 | Metadata type: TEI | |
ChristChurch.WilliamWhiteSermonv110 William White sermon 149, "A Discourse on Hebrews," 1826
TitleWilliam White sermon 149, "A Discourse on Hebrews," 1826
- White, William, 1748-1836 (https://viaf.org/viaf/23313303)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
(Philadelphia, United States, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA)
- local-identifier: v. 110
PublisherChrist Church, Philadelphia, PA
William White (1748-1836) was born and educated in Philadelphia, and served as Rector of Christ Church and St. Peter's Church for 57 years. He also served as Chaplain of the Continental Congress, Chaplain of the Senate, the first presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church of the United States, and a long-time trustee for the University of Pennsylvania. In this sermon, Reverend White discusses his thoughts on Hebrews 12:18-24, "For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more (For they could not endure that which was commanded, and if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: and so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel."
- Philadelphia Congregations Early Records Project (https://philadelphiacongregations.org)
- ATLA Digital Library (https://dl.atla.com/collections/philadelphia-congregations-early-records-project)
- Bible. New Testament
- Bible. Hebrews
- Christ Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- United Churches of Christ-Church and St. Peter's (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- White, William, 1748-1836
- Episcopal Church
- 18th century
- 19th century
- These images and the content of Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.WilliamWhiteSermonv110: William White sermon 149, "A Discourse on Hebrews," 1826 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Christ Church Philadelphia has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA ChristChurch.WilliamWhiteSermonv110: William White sermon 149, "A Discourse on Hebrews," 1826. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.