Collection ID: 0042 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Kislak MS 206 Sailing Order from Pedro Menéndez de Avilés to Don Cristóbal de Eraso
TitleSailing Order from Pedro Menéndez de Avilés to Don Cristóbal de Eraso
- Menéndez de Avilés, Pedro, 1519-1574 (http://viaf.org/viaf/107540186)
Other related names
- Kislak, Jay I., former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/100551485)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberKislak MS 206
(Washington, DC, Library of Congress, Jay I. Kislak Collection)
PublisherLibrary of Congress
In the age of piracy on the high seas, sailing instructions were top-secret documents upon which rested the security of the king's fleet and his treasure. Here, Menéndez de Avilés, governor of Florida, gives Don Cristóbal de Eraso complicated and detailed instructions for sailing to Spain on the Buenaventura with his fleet, via the islands of Flores and San Miguel. He is admonished not to proceed beyond a designated rendezvous without further instructions from Menéndez, "under penalty of paying with his person and his property for any injury to his Majesty or his royal treasury." With notary's signed statement of delivery to Eraso on 21 July 1572.
Extent317 x 216 mm
- Presented by Jay I. Kislak to the Library of Congress in 2008.
- Spain--History, Naval--16th century
- Florida--History--Spanish colony, 1565-1763
- Eraso, Cristóbal de
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Library of Congress Kislak MS 206: Sailing Order from Pedro Menéndez de Avilés to Don Cristóbal de Eraso are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Library of Congress has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Library of Congress Kislak MS 206: Sailing Order from Pedro Menéndez de Avilés to Don Cristóbal de Eraso. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.