Collection ID: 0042 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Kislak MS 244 Memorial by friar Bartolomé de Las Casas to Emperor Charles V and to the Junta of Valladolid
TitleMemorial by friar Bartolomé de Las Casas to Emperor Charles V and to the Junta of Valladolid
- Casas, Bartolomé de las, 1484-1566 (http://viaf.org/viaf/46758461)
Other related names
- Fischer, August Gottlieb Ludwig, 1825-1887, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/47515861)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/73979081)
- Gayangos, Pascual de 1809-1897, former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/304158648)
- Kislak, Jay I., former owner (http://viaf.org/viaf/100551485)
- Council on Library and Information Resources
Call numberKislak MS 244
(Washington, DC, Library of Congress, Jay I. Kislak Collection)
PublisherLibrary of Congress
This memorial by Las Casas was written during July and August of 1542, and orally presented to the emperor and the Junta (at their request) in early September of 1542. This manuscript contains Las Casas' concise culminating statement to advise and remind the emperor and the Junta of the major issues that should be addressed in new ordinances for the Americas. These issues pertained to the status of Indigenous peoples as vassals of the Crown, the settlement of the Spaniards, the abolition of slavery, the character of conquests and of future discoveries, as well as the necessity of peaceful evangelization in word and deed.
- Appears as lot 2954 in Puttick & Simpson's June 1, 1869 auction catalogue of Augustin Fischer's collection: Bibliotheca Mejicana : a catalogue of an extraordinary collection of books & manuscripts, almost wholly relating to the history and literature of North and South America, particularly Mexico. Purchased by Sir Thomas Phillipps and given his ms. number 21242. Purchased by Pascual de Gayangos y Arce after Phillipps' death. Purchased in 1966 by Jay I. Kislak and presented by him to the Library of Congress in 2008.
- Indians, Treatment of--Latin America--Early works to 1800
- Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, 1500-1558
- Consejo de Indias (Spain)
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Library of Congress Kislak MS 244: Memorial by friar Bartolomé de Las Casas to Emperor Charles V and to the Junta of Valladolid are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Library of Congress has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Library of Congress Kislak MS 244: Memorial by friar Bartolomé de Las Casas to Emperor Charles V and to the Junta of Valladolid. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.