Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5498a Torah (תורה)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5498a
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1300 and 1399
Hebrew Bible, volume 1: Pentateuch
- The codex has been trimmed and it became smaller in size than the other three volumes.
Extent124 folios (+4 unfoliated flyleaves at the beginning and at the end).; 124 folios (+4 unfoliated flyleaves at the beginning and at the end).
BindingPost-1600 Harleian binding, red leather with gold tooling, marble paper pastedown. Spine: 'Bible I. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harl. Ms. 5498.'
- Acquisition: Inscription by Edward Harley's librarian, Humfrey Wanley, 28 July 1725 (folio 2r of volume 1). The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta, née Cavendish Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- 14th cetury
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5498a: Torah (תורה) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5498a: Torah (תורה). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
13047_0008.jpg (2.4 MB)
13047_0008_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
13047_0008_web.jpg (223.0 KB)
Section: Torah תורה
13047_0011.jpg (4.1 MB)
13047_0011_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
13047_0011_web.jpg (488.0 KB)
13047_0067.jpg (3.4 MB)
13047_0067_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
13047_0067_web.jpg (381.3 KB)
13047_0113.jpg (3.6 MB)
13047_0113_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
13047_0113_web.jpg (394.1 KB)
13047_0150.jpg (4.4 MB)
13047_0150_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
13047_0150_web.jpg (386.0 KB)
13047_0206.jpg (4.8 MB)
13047_0206_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
13047_0206_web.jpg (371.8 KB)
harley_ms_5498a_control1.jpg (6.6 MB)
harley_ms_5498a_control1_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
harley_ms_5498a_control1_web.jpg (393.1 KB)