Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5520 Targum Onkelos (תרגום אונקלוס)
TitleTargum Onkelos (תרגום אונקלוס)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5520
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
LanguageJewish Babylonian Aramaic (ca. 200-1200 CE); Hebrew
Between 1200 and 1299
Targum Onḳelos on the Pentateuch, provided with vowel-points.
- A few pages slightly damaged. Several pages stained.
- Matatyah: inscribed with his name on folio 1r (cf. 1125).
- Censored by Giovanni Domenico Carretto (fl. 1600-1624): inscribed with his name, 1623 (folio 112r, see 100-101) and Clemento Renatto: inscribed with his name, undated, folio 112v.
Extent112 folios; 112 folios
BindingPost-1600. Harleian binding, red leather.
- Acquisition: Edward Harley: inscription by Harley's librarian, Humfrey Wanley, 18 January 1723/4 (folio 1r). The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5520: Targum Onkelos (תרגום אונקלוס) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5520: Targum Onkelos (תרגום אונקלוס). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
12963_0012.jpg (3.7 MB)
12963_0012_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
12963_0012_web.jpg (393.1 KB)
12963_0075.jpg (4.2 MB)
12963_0075_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
12963_0075_web.jpg (475.5 KB)
12963_0122.jpg (4.2 MB)
12963_0122_thumb.jpg (7.6 KB)
12963_0122_web.jpg (452.0 KB)
12963_0155.jpg (4.0 MB)
12963_0155_thumb.jpg (8.4 KB)
12963_0155_web.jpg (499.3 KB)
12963_0195.jpg (4.8 MB)
12963_0195_thumb.jpg (8.2 KB)
12963_0195_web.jpg (504.2 KB)
harley_ms_5520_control2.jpg (6.1 MB)
harley_ms_5520_control2_thumb.jpg (9.8 KB)
harley_ms_5520_control2_web.jpg (542.0 KB)