Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5530 Maḥzor Yom Kipur (מחזור יום כיפור)
TitleMaḥzor Yom Kipur (מחזור יום כיפור)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5530
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1200 and 1399
A festival prayer book for Yom Kipur, according to the rite of North Africa.
- Defective at the beginning.
- Folios 1, 7r, 45v, 251v-252v, 261r-268r are later.
- Several leaves damaged and damp, with loss of text.
- Last leaf mutilated.
- Folios 2r-6v: a piece by Moses ibn Ezra (the beginning is missing).
- Folio 1r contains a Latin description of the manuscript.
- Folio 1v contains an index of poetical pieces between folios 8r and 254v, in later Sefardi cursive hand.
Extent268 folios; 268 folios
BindingPost-1600. Red leather, gold tooled. Boxed. Spine: 'Mahzor. African Rite. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harl. Or. 5530.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d. 1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5530: Maḥzor Yom Kipur (מחזור יום כיפור) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5530: Maḥzor Yom Kipur (מחזור יום כיפור). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
13432_0019.jpg (3.5 MB)
13432_0019_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
13432_0019_web.jpg (373.5 KB)
13432_0096.jpg (4.2 MB)
13432_0096_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
13432_0096_web.jpg (298.0 KB)
13432_0263.jpg (2.4 MB)
13432_0263_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
13432_0263_web.jpg (312.9 KB)
13432_0400.jpg (3.1 MB)
13432_0400_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
13432_0400_web.jpg (349.2 KB)
13432_0507.jpg (4.2 MB)
13432_0507_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
13432_0507_web.jpg (363.9 KB)
harley_ms_5530_control2.jpg (5.6 MB)
harley_ms_5530_control2_thumb.jpg (7.9 KB)
harley_ms_5530_control2_web.jpg (346.3 KB)