Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5680 Medical work.
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5680
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
- Damp entry at foot in the second half of the volume.
- Stains and foxing at edges.
- Folio 209 has a loss at lower corner.
- Usage stains.
- Latin inscriptions mistakenly identifying the work as 'Afforismi de Galeno', undated (folios 1r, 1v, 213v).
- Latin inscriptions identifying the work correctly as the Canon of Avicenna, undated (folios 1v, 178v).
Extent213 folios; 213 folios
BindingPost-1600. 'Harleian' binding of gilt-tooled red morocco. Spine: 'Aphorisms of Galen. Medicine of Avicenna Bk. III. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harl. Or. 5680.'
- John Gibson
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts; inscribed as usual by their librarian, Humfrey Wanley, '13 die mensis Septembris, A.D. 1722' (folio 1r). Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), Duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5680: Medical work. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5680: Medical work.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
harley_ms_5680_colour1.jpg (3.8 MB)
harley_ms_5680_colour1_thumb.jpg (8.0 KB)
harley_ms_5680_colour1_web.jpg (404.8 KB)