Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5682 Maḥzor (מחזור)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5682
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1400 and 1499
A festival prayer book.
- Defective at the beginning.
- Censored by Dominico Irosolomitano, Italian censor (active 1585-1624): inscribed with his name, 1598 (folio 139v); see 61, and appendix § 62-74.
- Censored by Giovanni Domenico Carretto, Italian censor (active 1600-1624): inscribed with his name, 1623 (folio 139v); see 100-101William Popper, The Censorship of Hebrew Books (New York: KTAV Publishing House, 1969).
- A note relating to berit milah, mentioning Rafa᾿el ben Shemu᾿el of Modena, undated: folio 140v.
Extent140 folios; 140 folios
FoliationHebrew foliation has been preserved.
BindingBM in-house. Spine: 'Liturgies. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harl. MS. 5682.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts: inscribed as usual by their librarian, Humfrey Wanley, '18 die Januarii, A.D. 1723/4' (folio 2r). Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d. 1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5682: Maḥzor (מחזור) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5682: Maḥzor (מחזור). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
12966_0006.jpg (4.7 MB)
12966_0006_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
12966_0006_web.jpg (338.8 KB)
Section: Seder Taḥanunim
12966_0033.jpg (2.9 MB)
12966_0033_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
12966_0033_web.jpg (292.9 KB)
Section: Services for Rosh ha-Shanah
12966_0070.jpg (3.5 MB)
12966_0070_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
12966_0070_web.jpg (306.5 KB)
Section: Services for Yom Kipur
12966_0277.jpg (3.6 MB)
12966_0277_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
12966_0277_web.jpg (288.0 KB)
Section: Additional pieces
harley_ms_5682_fcontrol2.jpg (3.1 MB)
harley_ms_5682_fcontrol2_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
harley_ms_5682_fcontrol2_web.jpg (169.0 KB)