Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5701 Maḥzor (מחזור)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5701
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1200 and 1329
A festival prayer book with services for Rosh ha-Shanah, Yom Kipur and Sukot, according to the German rite.
- Defective at the end.
- Folio 252 partly mutilated.
- Folio 1 (a late paper flyleaf) contains an index of seliḥot for Yom Kipur.
- Yitsḥaḳ ben Eli῾ezer ha-Kohen: inscribed (folio 309v).
- Matatyah ben Yuda: inscribed (folio 309v); his name (Mataty' b"r Yudah Levi z"l) tooled on the contemporary 14th century binding.
Extent309 folios; 309 folios
BindingPre-1600. Black leather, blind-tooled, with copper centerpiece, cornerpieces and remains of clasps. Boxed. Spine: 'Mahazor. German Rite. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harley 5701.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts[, inscribed as usual by their librarian, Humfrey Wanley, '15 Augusti 1715' (folio 2r). Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d. 1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5701: Maḥzor (מחזור) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5701: Maḥzor (מחזור). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
13435_0006.jpg (2.5 MB)
13435_0006_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
13435_0006_web.jpg (229.8 KB)
Section: Services for the first day of Rosh ha-Shanah
13435_0061.jpg (3.5 MB)
13435_0061_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
13435_0061_web.jpg (299.3 KB)
Section: Services for the second day of Rosh ha-Shanah
13435_0136.jpg (3.8 MB)
13435_0136_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
13435_0136_web.jpg (311.9 KB)
Section: Services for Yom Kipur
13435_0502.jpg (3.4 MB)
13435_0502_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
13435_0502_web.jpg (339.2 KB)
Section: Services for Sukot
harley_ms_5701_control2.jpg (7.4 MB)
harley_ms_5701_control2_thumb.jpg (8.8 KB)
harley_ms_5701_control2_web.jpg (503.5 KB)