Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5713 Tefilot (תפילות)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5713
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1702 and 1714
A collection of prayers, a recension of the book of Tobit and Megilat Antiochus.
- Folios 19r, 20r: a scribal note of Aharon ben Mosheh, who came to England from Vilnius (The Kingdom of Poland and Lithuania), but was born in Nowogrodek.
- Humphrey Wanley, (b. 1672, d. 1726), Old English scholar and the librarian to the Earls of Oxford. As Queen Anne was the subject of the Royal Prayer, the manuscript must have been completed before 01 August 1714.
Extent20 folios; 20 folios
BindingPost-1600. Harleian binding. Spine: 'Preces. Liber Tobiae. Et Alia. Hebraice. Mus. Brit. Bibl. Harl. 5713. Plut XXXI F.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5713: Tefilot (תפילות) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5713: Tefilot (תפילות). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
13107_0010.jpg (3.3 MB)
13107_0010_thumb.jpg (7.4 KB)
13107_0010_web.jpg (399.6 KB)
harley_ms_5713_fcontrol2.jpg (4.1 MB)
harley_ms_5713_fcontrol2_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
harley_ms_5713_fcontrol2_web.jpg (510.4 KB)