Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5714 Maḥzor (מחזור)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5714
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1300 and 1399
A maḥzor containing the services for the special Sabbaths, Pesaḥ and Shavu῾ot, according to the German rite.
- Defective at the end.
- Folio 112 partly mutilated.
- A Latin description of the manuscript has been pasted on folio .
Extent195 folios; 195 folios
BindingPost-1600. Harleian thick red leather binding with gold-tooling. Spine: 'Pars T. Machazor Judaeorum Germanorum. Hebr. Cod. Sec. XIV. Mus. Brit. Bibl. Harl. 5714. Plut. XXXIII.I.' Boxed.
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts, inscribed as usual by their librarian, Humfrey Wanley, '18 die Januarij, A.D. 1723/4' (folio ). Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5714: Maḥzor (מחזור) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5714: Maḥzor (מחזור). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
12974_0009.jpg (4.4 MB)
12974_0009_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
12974_0009_web.jpg (360.3 KB)
Section: Services for the special Sabbaths
12974_0116.jpg (3.5 MB)
12974_0116_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
12974_0116_web.jpg (285.3 KB)
Section: Services for Pesaḥ
12974_0273.jpg (3.8 MB)
12974_0273_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
12974_0273_web.jpg (267.4 KB)
Section: Services for Shavu῾ot
harley_ms_5714_control1.jpg (7.7 MB)
harley_ms_5714_control1_thumb.jpg (9.2 KB)
harley_ms_5714_control1_web.jpg (632.4 KB)