Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5772 Torah ῾im perush Rashi (תורה עם פרוש רש"י)
TitleTorah ῾im perush Rashi (תורה עם פרוש רש"י)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5772
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1400 and 1499
Pentateuch, accompanied with punctuation and accents, Rashi's commentary and Targum.
- Ink partly fading.
- Leṿi Ḥalpan: inscribed, folio 224r.
- Ben Tsiyon ben Refa'el Mitantso and Daṿid Merts: inscribed with their names in the contract of sale, with a date of 15 Siṿan 283 (08 June 1523), folio 225r.
- The same folio contains a record of birth of 4 children of the latter owner, dated from 1523 to 1533.
- Domenico Irosolimitano, Italian censor (active 1585 - 1624): inscribed with his name, 1593 (folio 224v); see 61.
- Giovanni Domenico Carretto, Italian censor (active 1600 - 1624): inscribed with his name, 1628 (folio 224v); see 100-101.
Extent225 folios; 225 folios
BindingPost-1600. Red leather with gold-tooling, the Harley coat of arms in the centre. Spine: 'Pentateuch with Targum & Rashi's Commentary. Hebrew & Aramaic. Brit. Mus. Harleian Ms. 5772.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts: inscription by Harley's librarian, Humfrey Wanley, 18 Jan. 1723/1724. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5772: Torah ῾im perush Rashi (תורה עם פרוש רש"י) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5772: Torah ῾im perush Rashi (תורה עם פרוש רש"י). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
12978_0008.jpg (7.1 MB)
12978_0008_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
12978_0008_web.jpg (520.1 KB)
12978_0118.jpg (4.9 MB)
12978_0118_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
12978_0118_web.jpg (405.6 KB)
12978_0216.jpg (5.4 MB)
12978_0216_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
12978_0216_web.jpg (416.9 KB)
12978_0284.jpg (4.8 MB)
12978_0284_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
12978_0284_web.jpg (403.6 KB)
12978_0374.jpg (4.6 MB)
12978_0374_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
12978_0374_web.jpg (444.1 KB)
harley_ms_5772_fcontrol1.jpg (7.2 MB)
harley_ms_5772_fcontrol1_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
harley_ms_5772_fcontrol1_web.jpg (462.3 KB)