Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5794 Maḥzor (מחזור)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5794
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
A service-book for the New Year's feast according to the German rite, but influenced in some particulars by other rites.
- A Latin description of the manuscript has been pasted on folio 73v.
Extent74 folios; 74 folios
BindingBM in-house, black with gold-tooled Harleian coat of arms. Spine: 'Services for the New Year. Hebrew. Brit. Mus. Harl. Or. 5794.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts, inscribed as usual by their librarian, Humfrey Wanley, '15 Augusti 1715' (folio ). Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d.1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5794: Maḥzor (מחזור) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5794: Maḥzor (מחזור). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
12982_0008.jpg (4.7 MB)
12982_0008_thumb.jpg (10.1 KB)
12982_0008_web.jpg (546.4 KB)
Section: Seder ῾erev Rosh ha-Shanah
12982_0025.jpg (5.0 MB)
12982_0025_thumb.jpg (10.2 KB)
12982_0025_web.jpg (525.4 KB)
Section: Seder shaḥarit shel Rosh ha-Shanah
12982_0086.jpg (4.7 MB)
12982_0086_thumb.jpg (10.4 KB)
12982_0086_web.jpg (550.5 KB)
Section: Musaf for the first day
12982_0102.jpg (4.8 MB)
12982_0102_thumb.jpg (10.0 KB)
12982_0102_web.jpg (527.2 KB)
Section: Seder lel sheni
12982_0107.jpg (4.2 MB)
12982_0107_thumb.jpg (10.5 KB)
12982_0107_web.jpg (516.2 KB)
Section: Seder yom sheni
harley_ms_5794_fcontrol2.jpg (3.1 MB)
harley_ms_5794_fcontrol2_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
harley_ms_5794_fcontrol2_web.jpg (205.4 KB)
harley_ms_5794_f013r_1.jpg (4.7 MB)
harley_ms_5794_f013r_1_thumb.jpg (10.3 KB)
harley_ms_5794_f013r_1_web.jpg (535.8 KB)