Collection ID: 0047 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Harley MS 5794* Mishnah (משנה)
- The Polonsky Foundation
Call numberHarley MS 5794*
(London, United Kingdom, British Library, Hebrew Manuscripts Digitisation Project)
Between 1100 and 1199
Some portions of the Mishnah of Avot and Zevaḥim, provided with vowel-points and accents, and apparently intended for private liturgical recitation.
- Part of each leaf has been cut away on the outer side. A line has also been cut at the top.
- Fairly damaged.
Extent4 folios; 4 folios
BindingBm in-house. Harleian coat of arms on the upper cover. Spine title: 'Mishna of Aboth and Lebahim. Mus. Brit. Harl. Or. 5794*.'
- Acquisition: The Harley Collection, formed by Robert Harley (b. 1661, d. 1724), 1st earl of Oxford and Mortimer, politician, and Edward Harley (b. 1689, d. 1741), 2nd earl of Oxford and Mortimer, book collector and patron of the arts. Edward Harley bequeathed the library to his widow, Henrietta Cavendish, née Holles (b. 1694, d. 1755) during her lifetime and thereafter to their daughter, Margaret Cavendish Bentinck (b. 1715, d. 1785), duchess of Portland; the manuscripts were sold by the Countess and the Duchess in 1753 to the nation for £10,000 (a fraction of their contemporary value) under the Act of Parliament that also established the British Museum; the Harley manuscripts form one of the foundation collections of the British Library.
- Manuscript description based on Margoliouth, G.: Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, London 1965.
- These images and the content of British Library Harley MS 5794*: Mishnah (משנה) are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, British Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about British Library Harley MS 5794*: Mishnah (משנה). This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
13109_0004.jpg (5.1 MB)
13109_0004_thumb.jpg (8.4 KB)
13109_0004_web.jpg (562.9 KB)
harley_ms_5794~_fcontrol1.jpg (2.9 MB)
harley_ms_5794~_fcontrol1_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
harley_ms_5794~_fcontrol1_web.jpg (175.3 KB)