Collection ID: 0050 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 541H Bayān al-ḥikmah. / بىان الحکمة
- Khāṭirī, Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad
- Ptolemy, active 2nd century
Call numberIslamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 541H
(Princeton, Princeton University, Princeton University Library)
- bibid: 6357583
- Fols. 32; 16.8 x 11.5 cm.; written surface 13.7 x 8 cm.; 16 lines to page; on glazed Arabic paper; in naskhi; entries in red.
- A work on geometry compiled from the Elements of Euclid, who flourished B.C. 323-285, the Almagest of Ptolemy d. after A.D. 161, and the Method of Archimedes b. ca. B.C. 287 and d. B.C. 212.
- Beg.: بسم الله ... الحمد لله الذي کملنا بعقل الفعال
- Ruled marginal lines in red. Writing parallel to back of binding. Attached to MS are 44 folios containing a treatise on magic dealing with the properties of the ring of Ṣāliḥ, and another on numbers and their squares, both in Persian and copied A.H. 609 [A.D. 1212]. MS is old and belongs probably to the first half of the XIIIth century. In fair condition; very rare.
- Acquired from Brill, Leyden, A.D. 1900.
ColophonColophon: ونختم الرسالة بهذا الباب والله اعلم واحکم بالحقىقة
- Mathematics, Arab--Early works to 1800
- Geometry--Early works to 1800
- Euclid's Elements--Early works to 1800
- Islamic magic--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--13th century
- Manuscripts, Persian--13th century
- These images and the content of Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 541H: Bayān al-ḥikmah. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Princeton University Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 541H: Bayān al-ḥikmah.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.