Collection ID: 0050 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 1548Y Ahlak-i alâî / اخلاق علائي
- Ali Çelebi, Kınalızade, 1510-1571
علي چلبي, قينالي زاده
Call numberIslamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 1548Y
(Princeton, Princeton University, Princeton University Library)
- bibid: 5012946
LanguageIn Ottoman Turkish and Arabic
Kınalızade's work on ethics in 3 books (kitāb) composed in 1565 (fol. 6b-261b), followed by two short treatises also on ethics, virtue and moral qualities (fol. 263b-280b and 280b-296b), the first of which is in Arabic and consists of a list of different concepts conditioning those qualities and the explanations thereof, starting with al-tawakkul, al-jahl, khawf al-dhamm wa-ḥubb al-madaḥ etc., and the second is in Arabic and Ottoman and is dedicated to Sultan Abdülhamid I (ruled 1774-1789).
- Ms. composite codex.
- Title from the lower edge of text block.
- Main text was copied by Derviş Mehmet Ahlakî on the 15th of Shaʻbān 997 (1589), this being the 30th copy which he did -- colophon (fol. 261b). Given the dedication to Sultan Abdülhamid I, the second and third texts, which are written continuously, are from the 18th century and were subsequently bound with the first.
- Main text: 19 lines per page. Written in small nastaʻlīq in black ink with use of red for rubrication. Text is written within a gold leaf frame outlined with three lines in black ink, with headings and verses in separately outlined sections. Fol. 6b has an illuminated head piece (ʻunwān) made in gold leaf with dark and light blue, orange and purple watercolors. Fol. 6b, 12a, 21a, and then every 10th leaf has a circular medallion on the margin, made with gold leaf with foliage pattern in black ink in the center with red circle around it and blue ink around the edges. Fol. 112b-116a have margins sprinkled in gold. Glazed dark cream paper with visible laid lines and prominent fibres. Foliation in Arabic numerals in red ink starts with 1 on fol. 7. Texts 2 and 3: 11 lines per page. Written in medium small nastaʻlīq in black ink with use of red. Text written within a single line frame outlined in red ink. Very thin light cream glazed paper with visible laid lines and prominent fibres.
- Ms. additions: Several short inscriptions on fol. 1b; table of contents on fol. 2b-3a; two ownership statements on fol. 6a, one in the name of Mehmet Celaleddin, accompanied by a stamp dated 189 (1775-76), and the other in the name of Ömer Hüsameddin, dated 26 M 1227 (10 February 1812).
ExtentI, 298, i leaves : 218 x 126 (158 x 75) mm. bound to 218 x 132 mm
BindingBrown leather with a gold tooled mandorla with pendants in the center and 4 gold tooled corner pieces in foliage pattern on upper and lower covers. Envelope flap with same gold tooled design, consisting of a small mandorla, 2 corner pieces, and gold guilloche and fillets around the edges. Spine, fore-edge flap and borders of upper and lower covers repaired in different brown leather. Pastedowns and envelope flap lining in yellow paper sprinkled in silver. Fore-edge lining in olive fabric.
- Robert Garrett, Class of 1897 ;
- Originally acquired by Robert Garrett from Abraham Shalom Yahuda ; 1942.
- Islamic philosophy--Early works to 1800
- Islamic ethics--Early works to 1800
- Muslims--Conduct of life--Early works to 1800
- Virtue--Religious aspects--Islam--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Turkish--New Jersey--Princeton
- Manuscripts, Turkish--16th century
- Manuscripts, Turkish--18th century
- Illuminated manuscripts--Islamic Empire--16th century
- Headpieces (layout features)--Islamic Empire--16th century
- These images and the content of Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 1548Y: Ahlak-i alâî are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Princeton University Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Garrett no. 1548Y: Ahlak-i alâî. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Upper cover. outside
11238_0000.tif (91.6 MB)
11238_0000_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
11238_0000_web.jpg (409.8 KB)
Upper cover. inside
11238_0001.tif (84.1 MB)
11238_0001_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
11238_0001_web.jpg (396.1 KB)
f. 1. b
11238_0005.tif (85.6 MB)
11238_0005_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
11238_0005_web.jpg (196.8 KB)
f. 263. b
11238_0529.tif (80.0 MB)
11238_0529_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
11238_0529_web.jpg (278.3 KB)
Section: [Text 2]
f. 280. b
11238_0563.tif (81.5 MB)
11238_0563_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
11238_0563_web.jpg (285.6 KB)
Section: [Text 3]
Lower cover. inside
11238_0602.tif (145.6 MB)
11238_0602_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
11238_0602_web.jpg (598.9 KB)