Collection ID: 0050 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Islamic Manuscripts, Third Series no. 586 Collection of eight Sufi texts.
TitleCollection of eight Sufi texts.
- Khīwafī, Abū al-Najīb al-Kubrá
- Bisṭāmī, Muḥammad ibn ʻAlī
Call numberIslamic Manuscripts, Third Series no. 586
(Princeton, Princeton University, Princeton University Library)
- bibid: 6030322
A rare and largely unpublished collection of Sufi texts, all in Arabic with the exception of text 8, which is in Ottoman Turkish. Pages inbetween texts (fol. 1a-3a, 31b-32a, 51a, 140b-141a, 117b-118a, 150b-153b) include Persian poems on mystical and Shiʻite subjects, entries in Arabic and Ottoman Turkish, and ownership entries.
- Ms. composite codex.
- Physical description: 19-23 lines per page; written in naskhī script in black on thick laid paper. Chapter titles in red; keywords overlined in red. Many glosses and Persian verses added in the margins. The sixth text, al-Tajrīd, is written in a fine naskhī on thinner paper. A few words smudged, some pages browned, some margins dampstained, and two quires loose.
- Text 2 was copied by Aḥmad ibn Ilyās ibn Ṭūrmush (fol. 31); he may also be the copiest for text 1 as the texts appear to be written by the same hand.
- 1. fol. 3a-28b: Hādhā al-kitāb Waṣāyāyi qudsīyah.
- 2. fol. 28b-31a: A treatise on the ten principles for the purification of the soul, by Abū al-Najīb al-Kubrá al-Khīwafī.
- 3. fol. 32b-48b: Mishkāt al-miṣbāḥ fī bayān awrād al-masāʾ wa-al-ṣabāḥ.
- 4. fol. 49a-50b: A short treatise on the sayings of Shaykh Muḥammad ibn ʻAī al-Bisṭāmī.
- 5. fol. 51b-117a: Ḥadāʾiq al-ḥaqāʾiq.
- 6. fol. 118b-140a: Kitāb al-Tajrīd fī kalimat al-tawḥīd.
- 7. fol. 141b-148b: Asrār Manāqib al-abrār.
- 8. fol. 149a-150a: Hāz̲ā Aṭvār-i qalb haft kūnah ast.
Extent153 leaves, bound : 184 x 137 mm
BindingLeather binding blind-tooled with floral motifs, with flap; rubbed and front hinge cracked.
- Smitskamp Oriental Antiquarium,
- Sufism--Doctrines--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--15th century
- Manuscripts, Turkish
- These images and the content of Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Third Series no. 586: Collection of eight Sufi texts. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Princeton University Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Princeton University Library Islamic Manuscripts, Third Series no. 586: Collection of eight Sufi texts.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.