Collection ID: 0053 | Metadata type: TEI | |
MS V.b.106 Chronicle of England, known as The Brut manuscript, ca. 1440.
TitleChronicle of England, known as The Brut manuscript, ca. 1440.
Other related names
- Ord, Craven, 1756-1832, former owner., former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner., former owner
- Barnard, P. M., former owner., former owner
- Folger, Henry Clay, 1857-1930, former owner., former owner
- Folger, Emily C. J. (Emily Clara Jordan), 1858-1936, former owner., former owner
Call numberMS V.b.106
(Washington, DC, USA, Folger Shakespeare Library)
PublisherFolger Shakespeare Library
LanguageMiddle English (1100-1500)
History of England from the beginnings up through King Henry V's conquest of Rouen in 1419, and including the stories of King Lear, King Arthur, and other sources for later literature.
- Title supplied by cataloger, based on spine title: Chronicle of England.
- First line: Here may a man heren how Englonde was Fyrst called Albyon and thrugh whom it hadde the name.
- foliation in pencil; paginated p. 1-168, 172-178, continued in later hand p. 180, 181-186
- In Middle English translated from Anglo-Norman.
- Uniform title: Chronicles of England.
ExtentLeaves i + 92 + i; 370 x 276 mm
BindingBound in half-calf with marble paper boards in England ca. 1820.
2-4 line unfilled spaces for initials, sometimes with guide letters.
- Formerly owned by Craven Ord (bookplate); Ord sale (London, June 25, 1829, no. 522) to Thorpe for Phillipps; Phillipps sale (London, 1913, no. 1102) to P.M. Barnard; no. 658 in a sale.
- For a codicological description based on the microfilm, see The Imagining History project at Queen's University, Belfast, online.
- Phillipps, T. Phillipps manuscripts, 3784
- Ricci, S. de. Census of medieval and Renaissance manuscripts in the United States and Canada, 725.2
- Matheson, L.M. The prose Brut , 60
- Great Britain --History --1066-1687 --Manuscripts
- Great Britain --England
- Manuscripts (documents) --England --15th century
- Chronicles --England --15th century --Manuscripts
- Annotations (Provenance) --England --16th century --Manuscripts
- Annotations (Provenance) --England --17th century --Manuscripts
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Folger Shakespeare Library MS V.b.106: Chronicle of England, known as The Brut manuscript, ca. 1440. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, Folger Shakespeare Library has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Folger Shakespeare Library MS V.b.106: Chronicle of England, known as The Brut manuscript, ca. 1440.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Craven Ord
Inside front cover
11776_0001.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0001_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
11776_0001_web.jpg (172.1 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Craven Ord
Flyleaf 1 recto
11776_0002.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0002_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
11776_0002_web.jpg (125.8 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso
11776_0003.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0003_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
11776_0003_web.jpg (137.6 KB)
11776_0004.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0004_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
11776_0004_web.jpg (500.7 KB)
Section: [Chronicles of England]
11776_0181.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0181_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
11776_0181_web.jpg (464.0 KB)
Section: [Table of chapters]
Flyleaf 1 recto
11776_0188.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0188_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
11776_0188_web.jpg (135.6 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso
11776_0189.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0189_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
11776_0189_web.jpg (129.8 KB)
Inside back cover
11776_0190.tif (193.5 MB)
11776_0190_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
11776_0190_web.jpg (156.8 KB)