Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 165 Recipe book
Other related names
- Newton, Edward, 18th cent, former owner
Call numberLJS 165
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5405356
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1690-1802
Collection of culinary recipes, such as to pickle or preserve various kinds of fruits and vegetables, to prepare meat and fish, and to make wines and desserts; medicinal recipes, for ailments such as stones, colic, consumption, toothache, thrush, and worms; and household preparations, as for killing lice and moths and making substances such as ink and glue. The latest entry is a copy of an 1802 court proceeding at the Old Bailey against 2 men, Levy Cohen and Ephraim Jacobs, charged with forging notes from the Bank of England, which concludes with a verdict of not guilty (f. 76v-79r). The first leaf has medical notes of an astrological nature (f. 1v). Many edges repaired.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent90 leaves : 307 x 194 mm. bound to 317 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, 90; [1-13], 14-18, 20-39, 41-54, 56-69, 74-78, [79-97]; early foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingModern half morocco over marbled boards.
- Early ownership inscription: Edward Newton (f. 90r).
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 20 Sept. 1996, lot 158, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Trials (Forgery)--England--London
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
0098_0001.tif (54.2 MB)
0098_0001_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
0098_0001_web.jpg (171.9 KB)