Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 180 Mémoire
- Calonne, Charles Alexandre de, 1734-1802,
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 180
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5783301
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Proposition that the contrôleur général des finances (position held by Charles Alexandre de Calonne, 1783-1787) pay for an observer from France to travel to England to learn about the conversion of iron to steel, described as a secret of great importance for France to obtain. A note at the top of the document in another hand, dated 22 Oct. 1784, records approval of the plan.
- Separated from manuscript formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 22927 (note in pencil on verso, Kraus?).
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978; part of Kraus's ms. 836.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), as part of Ms. 11.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Technology--Early works to 1800
- Iron industry and trade--France--History--18th century
- Steel industry and trade--France--History--18th century
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European