Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 202 Primum mobile
- Titi, Placido, 1603-1668
Other related names
- Leopold Wilhelm, Archduke of Austria, 1614-1662, dedicatee
- Tower, Christopher, former owner
- Hockley, Frederick, 1808-1885, former owner
- Plummer, George Winslow, 1876-1944, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 202
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5032274
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1675 and 1799
Astrological work presenting 70 theses on celestial influence (p. 5-17), 42 canons of instructions for the use of astronomical tables (p. 19-65), and 30 examples of nativities (charts of the exact date, time, and location of birth) of prominent figures, mostly born in the second half of the 16th century (p. 66-151, with a title page for the section on the unnumbered page before p. 66). The examples include heads of state, high-ranking members of the ecclesiastical hierarchy, and aristocrats (including one woman, Leonora Ursina, p. 147); each of the nativities begins with an astrological diagram and also includes small tables. An index follows the examples (p. 152-158). This English translation of a Latin work published in Padua in 1657 (p. i, unnumbered page before p. 66) differs substantially from the English translations published in the late 18th and early 19th century.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
WatermarkFleur-de-lis with IV countermark.
Extent83 leaves : 370 x 234 (355 x 174) mm. bound to 377 x 252 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 83 + ii; [i-iv], 1-65, [ii], 66-143, 145-151, [152-161]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
Binding18th-century calf, rebacked.
30 astrological diagrams in ink, all the same in form with different data entered, in the section of examples (p. 69-149).
- Formerly owned by Christopher Tower (b. 1775), Weald Hall, Essex (armorial bookplate inside upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Frederick Hockley.
- Probably sold at auction at Sotheby's, 6 Apr. 1887.
- Formerly owned by George Winslow Plummer (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Sold by E + R Kistner Buch- und Kunstantiquariat, 1988.
- Sold by H. P. Kraus to John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 33.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
0249_0001.tif (81.0 MB)
0249_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0249_0001_web.jpg (217.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover