Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
LJS 208 Opusculum mathematicum
- Nigroni, Giovanni Battista
- Salvaterra, Giovanni
Other related names
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 208
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5977473
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Treatise on geometry dealing with both area and volume, in 7 chapters, written under the direction of the Jesuit Joannes (Giovanni) Salvaterra, who taught mathematics, rhetoric, philosophy, and theology in Genoa, and died in 1680.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. xiii); caption title Tractatus geometricus (p. 1).
Extent45 leaves : 205 x 150 (158 x 120) mm. bound to 215 x 159 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 45 + i leaves; [i-xxii], 1-24, [25-68 (blank)]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (late 17th-century) parchment, gilt-tooled, with floral centerpiece and initials G B N (matches binding of LJS 209, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania); sprinkled edges.
Title page with pen-and-wash border on heavier paper (p. xiii); numerous small geometrical diagrams set in text.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 39.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Geometry--Early works to 1800
- Pen-and-wash drawings
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
0030_0001.tif (27.5 MB)
0030_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0030_0001_web.jpg (321.8 KB)