Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize LJS 254 Buch von den probierten Kü̈̈nsten
TitleBuch von den probierten Kü̈̈nsten
- Helm, Franz, approximately 1500-1567
Other related names
- Ganser, Georg, scribe
Call numberOversize LJS 254
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9948588323503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- after 1562
Illustrated treatise on gunpowder and artillery; probably a copy of an early recension of Franz Helm's work Buch von den probierten Kü̈̈nsten that first appeared between 1527 and 1535. The title page includes language similar to that title and a date of 1562 (f. ii). The date is echoed in a note added at the end of the manuscript in another hand; this note also attributes the copying of the manuscript to Georg Ganser of Cham and suggests that it was translated from French into German (f. 265r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkBriquet Armoiries 1242 (Vienna, 1566, with variations in southern Germany 1573-1599); Briquet Lettre P 8880 (Prague, 1558, with variations in Austria and southern Germany, 1543-1576), and a coat of arms containing a turret, supported by griffins rampant.
Extent285 leaves : 320 x 210 (215 x 115) mm. bound to 323 x 230 mm
CollationPaper, 285; 1¹⁰(-2) 2¹⁰ 3⁸ 4-8¹⁰ 9¹⁰(-8) 10¹⁰(-1) 11¹⁰ 12¹⁰(-4) 13¹⁰(-2) 14¹⁰ 15¹⁰(-1) 16¹⁰(-1) 17¹⁰(-4) 18-20¹⁰ 21¹⁰(-2) 22¹⁰(-2) 23-26¹⁰ 27¹⁰(-1) 28¹⁰ 29¹⁰(-3) 30¹⁰(-1) 31⁸ 32¹⁰(-6?); [i-xxvi], 1-52, 61-83, 88-92, 94, 96-111, 113-129, 131-133, 138-174, 177-186, 188-189, 191-238, 240-252, 254-255, 258-262, 264-270, [271-282]; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto; gatherings 4-29 signed A-I, K-T, V-Z, Z, a; catchwords on the last lower left verso of each gathering except for gatherings 3-4, 9 (leaf missing), 16 (leaf missing), 22 (leaf missing), and 29-32 (blank).
Approximately 40 half- to full-page painted color illustrations of explosives and equipment for launching them or calculating trajectories (f. 49r-143r, 211v-246v); 4 double-page painted illustrations, 1 showing a large piece of equipment (f. 50v-51r) and 3 being of men operating cannons (f. 241v-242r, 242v-243r, 244v-245r); and 2 foldout painted illustrations of encampments surrounded by carts (f. 260r, 266r); one ornamented initial in penwork at the beginning of the foreword (f. iii recto).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 21 May 1998, lot 40, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Artillery--Early works to 1800
- Explosives--Early works to 1800
- Military art and science--Early works to 1800
- Paintings (visual works)
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Military art and science
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 254: Buch von den probierten Kü̈̈nsten are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0183_0001.tif (81.8 MB)
0183_0001_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
0183_0001_web.jpg (243.1 KB)